Linc Tasmania - Family history
This site is designed to explore Tasmanian ancestry using the following categories: Aboriginal Ancestry; Arrivals or departures; Birth, death or marriage; Convict life; Education; Work; Where someone lived; Life as a child in care; Court records; Prison records; Royal Derwent Hospital and Military records. These categories links to any online records, indexes, guides, videos plus other related records, sites or information.
Use the Tasmanian Names Index link to single search across the following:
• Arrivals (19th Century). Passengers and ships arriving, mainly in Hobart. Contains surnames A-R, S-Z to be added
• Bankruptcy (1821-1928). Documents from cases of bankruptcy and insolvency
• Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only)
• Census (1837-1857). Householders in the 1840s and 1850s, not complete for all districts
• Convict permissions to marry (1829-1857). Convicts applying to marry free people or other convicts
• Convicts (1803-1893). Convicts transported to Tasmania and those convicted locally through the convict system
• Court (1830-1858). Supreme Court. Minutes of proceedings in criminal cases
• Deaths (1803-1933). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only)
Return of deaths for the General Hospital Hobart
Burial records for Cornelian Bay Cemetery
• Departures (1817-1887). People leaving Tasmanian ports, mainly Launceston
• Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court
• Education (1846 - 1892). The first admission register for the Hutchins School
• Employment (1865-1902). Various records, mainly from the Southern Volunteer Artillery and the Inspection of Machinery Department
• Health & Welfare (1830-1952). Patients and attendants at various hospitals and community welfare institutions
• Hotels & Properties (1818-1958). Hotel licensees, inquests into fires, Launceston buildings and demolished hotels
• Immigration (1912-1940). Nominations and arrivals of migrants under immigration schemes
• Inquests (1828-1927). Inquests into people’s deaths
• Marriages (1803-1899). People who married in Tasmania
• Marriage certificate counterfoils. (1852-1944). Counterfoils of Marriage Certificates issued in respect of marriages performed at Hobart, Launceston and Franklin Registry Offices, and by various religious denominations.
• Miscellaneous (1838-1873). General correspondence of the Comptroller general of convicts and North Fleet shipwreck survivors.
• Naturalisations (1835-1904). People applying to become citizens
• Prisoners (1895-1932). Prisoners in the Hobart gaol
• Wills (1824-1990). Wills and letters of administration of estates registered for probate
• WW1 Photographs. (1914-1919). Photographs and articles from the Tasmanian Mail and Weekly Courier illustrated newspaper
Search results can be filtered by record type, year, name, ship, departure port, place registered and census district. Any digitised records are identified and linked.
TIP: Copies of records that are not digitised can be obtained by using the link to the online copy request form.
LINC Tasmania - eResources.
If you live in Tasmania, you can get a LINC Library card and access a selection of subscription databases from home for free.