Trove Digitised Newspapers offers free access to the full text of 1196+ Australian newspaper titles from 1803 to 2011 (most to 1954). The main state title is listed and the numbers in brackets are the number of titles available for that state. New titles are being added all the time.
• ACT (8) - Canberra Times 1926-1995
• National (3) - Australian Women’s Weekly 1932-1984
• NSW (416) - Sydney Morning Herald 1842-1954
• NT (8) - Northern Territory Times 1873-1932
• Qld (96) - Courier-Mail 1933-1954
• SA (115) - The Advertiser 1889-1954
• Tas (66) - Mercury 1860-1954
• Vic (358) - Argus 1848-1957
• WA (126) - West Australian 1879-1954
TIP: Use the default search first. If you do not get the results you want, do a phrase search - "John William Lee". The speech marks holds two, or more, words together during the search. Consider how names would have appeared in the newspaper of the day. Try alternative basic searches and/or phrase searches John Lee, John W Lee, J W Lee, Jno Lee, Mr J Lee or Lee John William. His wife could be recorded as Mrs John Lee or Mrs Lee.
TIP: Use this site to search for passenger lists (arrivals and departures) and for detailed descriptions of voyages. It is common to find ongoing passenger lists from Fremantle, Adelaide or Melbourne so don't limit your search to port of arrival or port of departure.