Use the Tasmanian Names Index link to single search across the following:
• Arrivals (19th Century). Passengers and ships arriving, mainly in Hobart. Contains surnames A-K, L-Z to be added
• Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only)
• Census (1837-1857). Householders in the 1840s and 1850s, not complete for all districts
• Deaths (1803-1933). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only)
• Convict permissions to marry (1829-1857). Convicts applying to marry free people or other convicts
• Convicts (1803-1893). Convicts transported to Tasmania and those convicted locally through the convict system
• Departures (1817-1867). People leaving Tasmanian ports, mainly Launceston
• Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court
• General Index (1818-1934). A range of records, including people’s names and subjects
• Health & Welfare (1830-1873). Patients and attendants at the New Norfolk Colonial Hospital and applications to the Queens Orphan School.
• Hotels & Properties (1818-1958). Hotel licensees, inquests into fires, Launceston buildings and demolished hotels.
• Inquests (1828-1930). Inquests into people’s deaths
• Marriages (1803-1899). People who married in Tasmania
• Miscellaneous (1838-1873). General correspondence of the Comptoller general of convicts and North Fleet shipwreck survivors.
• Naturalisations (1835-1905). People applying to become citizens
• Prisoners (1895-1902). Prisoners in the Hobart gaol
• Wills (1824-1989). Wills and letters of administration of estates registered for probate
• WW1 Photographs (1914-1919). Photographs and articles from the Tasmanian Mail and Weekly Courier illustrated newspaper
Search results can be filtered by record type, year, name, ship, departure port, place registered and census district. Any digitised records are indentified and linked.
TIP: Copies of records that are not digitised can be obtained by using the link to the online copy request form.