CoraWeb Quick Sheet 001 Australia: Available Birth, Death and Marriage Indexes
CoraWeb Quick Sheet 002 Australia: BDM registry details and certificate costs
CoraWeb Quick Sheet 007 UK & Ireland, New Zealand: Certificate costs and contacts
Ancestry.com This commercial site has a variety of subscription options available and offers access to:
• Australia Birth Index 1788-1922 covering New South Wales(1788-1910), Northern Territory(1870-1910), Queensland (1829-1910, 1915-1919), South Australia (1842-1922), Tasmania (1803-1910), Victoria (1836-1910) and Western Australia (1841-1905)
• Australia Death Index 1787-1985 covering New South Wales (1788-1945), Northern Territory (1870-1913), Queensland (1829-1959), South Australia (1842-1970) Tasmania (1803-1919), Victoria (1836-1985) and Western Australia (1841-1980)
• Australia Marriage Index 1788-1949 covering New South Wales (1788-1945), Northern Territory (1870-1913), Queensland (1829-1935), South Australia (1842-1937), Tasmania (1803-1919), Victoria (1836-1920) and Western Australia (1841-1950)
Check if there is free access to Ancestry.com in a public or family history library near you.
The Ryerson Index This index to death notices appearing in current Australian newspapers also includes some funeral notices, probate notices and obituaries. This ongoing project currently contains over 4.3+ million entries from 229 newspapers. Updated
FamilySearch - Historical Record Collections - Australia and New Zealand include:
• Australia Deaths and Burials, 1816-1980
• Australia, Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981
• Australia, Cemetery Inscriptions, Sydney Branch Genealogical Library, 1800-1960
• Australia, Marriages, 1810-1980
• Australia, Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980. Card index to transcripts of newspaper reports of births, marriages and deaths mostly New South Wales, with some records from Victoria
• Australia, New South Wales, Alphabetical Index to Newspaper Cuttings, 1841-1987
• Australia, Queensland Cemetery Records, 1802-1990
• Australia, Queensland, Maryborough Public Records, 1847-1989. Records include burial registers, a hospital death register, list of residents, a list of war memorials and honor rolls giving soldiers' names
• Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration, 1803-1933
• Australia, Tasmania, Miscellaneous Records, 1829-1961. The collection contains land, school, court and occupation records
• Australia, Victoria, Probate Registers, 1841-1989. New
BDM Data Viewer, by Jason Ingram, is an index searching tool to enable you to revive those old DOS CD-ROM indexes that may no longer work with modern operating systems such as Windows 7/8. It works by reading data from your existing CD-ROMs and placing it into one proprietary data file that the BDM Data Viewer can read quickly and easily. This means you no longer need to load individual CDs and all the indexes can be searched simultaneously. Currently the following indexes are supported:
• NSW Between the Wars 1919-1945
• NSW Pioneers Index, 1788-1888
• NSW Federation Index 1889-1918
• VIC Pioneers Index, 1837-1888
• TAS Pioneers Index, 1803-1899
• WA Pioneers Index, 1841-1905
BDM Data viewer can be purchased from the site for (AUD) $20 (download only) or on CD for A$35. For further information click on the Help/Overview link at the bottom of the site page.
BDM Revival allows you to run old Windows and DOS based CD-ROM indexes on Windows Vista, 7, and 8 (including 64 bit). Currently direct support is offered for the following indexes:
• NSW Pioneers Index, 1788-1888 (KAWare); NSW Federation Index, 1889-1918 (KAWare) and NSW Between the Wars, 1919-1945 (KAWare)
• VIC Pioneers Index, 1837-1888 (KAWare); VIC Pioneers Index, 1836-1888 (Digger); VIC Edwardian Index, 1902-1913 (Digger); VIC Federation Index, 1889-1901 (Digger); VIC Great War Index, 1914-1920 (Digger); VIC Inquest Index, 1841-1985 (Digger); VIC Death Index, 1921-1985 (Digger) and VIC Immigration to Victoria 1852-1879 (Digger)
• TAS Pioneers Index, 1803-1899 (KAWare)
• WA Pioneers Index, 1841-1905 (KAWare)
• QLD Pioneers Index, 1829- 889 (Digger) and QLD Federation Index, 1890-1914 (Digger)
• SA Marriage Registrations 1842-1916 (Digger); SA Marriage Registrations 1917-1937 (Digger); SA Births Registrations 1842-1906 (Digger); SA Births Registrations 1907-1928 (Digger); SA Deaths Registrations 1842-1915 (Digger)
You can also manually install almost any DOS application including Windows 3.1 (assuming you have the installation disks) and Windows 3.1 applications. There is a free demo of BDM Revival on the site. It can be purchased from the site for (AUD) $19.95 (download only). New
Obituaries Australia This site hosted by the National Centre of Biography at the Australian National University, is a digital repository of obituaries published in newspapers, journals, magazines and bulletins. Here you will find the life stories of Australians from the earliest times to the present. There is also the opportunity to submit obituaries to this site.
Obits.com.au Australian death and funeral notices plus obituaries obtained from funeral directors or though contributions by members of the public. Notices are available from January 2006. The Obits Quick Search only searches recent notices so check the Archived Notices also.
The Last Post This site lists basic information about funerals as submitted by funeral directors on behalf of their clients. The searchable database currently contains 190,785+ entries.
What you can expect to see on an Australian BDM certificate over any given time period You will find this resource on Graham Jaunay's site listed under The Free Help - AUS Info page.
Australasia Births, Deaths and Marriages Exchange A free resource for sharing details on Australian and New Zealand certificates. A surname search is available plus links to international BDM exchanges.
Use Trove to Search for Divorce Records Major Australian newspapers such as the Sydney Morning Herald published lists and details of divorce cases. Use this site to search for such notices.
Australian Capital Territory
Office of Regulatory Services Births, Deaths and Marriage Unit with details of birth, death and marriage registration plus online access to the ACT Historical Indexes for deaths (1930-1982) and marriages (1930-1939)
New South Wales
NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages There are details of the services offered to family historians including the online ordering of certificates. Online Historical Indexes are available for births (1788-1913), deaths (1788-1983) and marriages (1788-1963). Updated
NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Early Church Records - Codes. These codes can be found on the microfiche indexes and cover baptisms, marriages and burials 1788 to 1855. For example IQ is t the code for Wesleyan Methodist baptisms in Co. Argyle, Goulburn, Gunning, Yass.
State Records New South Wales - Indexes Online - Index to Divorce Case Papers 1873-1930 This ongoing index records petitioner name, respondent and co-respondent (if named), divorce number, year and remarks. A copy of the file can be ordered online for a fee. There are also 60,000+ divorce and matrimonial cause case papers listed in Archives Investigator, dating from January 1922 to December 1945 and 1970. Use the Experimental Tool - search to easily locate these. For more information see Archives in Brief 77 - Divorce Records.
State Records New South Wales - Indexes Online - Inquests - Coroners' 1796-1824 This index lists name, date, locality, SRNSW reference numbers and remarks (indicates if the person is the deceased or a witness).
Ancestry.com - Registers of Coroners' Inquests, 1796-1942 These registers are fully indexed with access to digital copies of the original records which, depending on the date, can contain the following: name of deceased, age, birthplace, estimated date and place of death, date and location of Inquest, verdict of inquest (probably cause of death), name of the coroner or magistrate, name of doctor, occupation of deceased and personal property belonging to deceased. This commercial site has a variety of subscription options available.
Hawkesbury on the Net - Church Registers This ongoing project offers online access to transcripts of selected church registers for St James, Pitt Town; St John's Wilberforce; St Joseph's, Macdonald River; St Matthew's, Windsor; St Philip's, Clydesdale and St Thomas, Sackville Reach.
Northern Territory Government Department of Justice This site has birth, death and marriage registration details.
Queensland Goverment - Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorces. Use the Historical Index Search facility to search for births 1829-1913, deaths 1829-1983 and marriages 1829-1938. Searches are free and historical images ($20) and historical certificates ($28) can be purchased online.
Queensland State Archives - Index to Queensland Divorces 1861-1894 These Supreme Court of Queensland divorce files usually contain petitions, marriage certificate (not always on earlier files), affidavit of service and identification, certificate of Registrar, notice of trial, decree nisi and decree absolute. The index lists name and references. Copies of the files are available from QSA for a fee.
Queensland State Archives - Index to Inquests 1859-1886 A search returns surname, given names, file date and number plus QSA references. Document copies are available from QSA for a fee.
Genealogy SA - SA BDM Certificate Transcription Service This service is available for births 1842-1928, deaths 1842-1967 and marriages 1842-1937.
Genealogy SA - Online Database Search This search by the South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society includes:
• Newspaper birth notices index from 1960 onwards
• Newspaper death notices index from 1972 onwards
• South Australia cemeteries index
• Birth registration certificates index 1842-1928
• Death registration certificates index 1842-1972
• Marriage registration certificates index 1842-1937
The Society offers lookup and transcription services for a fee.
Family History South Australia - South Australian historical births, deaths and marriages These databases by Barry Leadbeater currently include South Australian, births 1836-1854, deaths 1836-1855 and marriages 1836-1856.
Savill Index of The Advertiser Funeral Notices 1971-1990 and 1997-2013 This index by Gerald A Savill can be searched alphabetically by surname. Information provided includes: last name, alternate last name, other names, death notice (see note), date of publication.
Note: From 2005 the index incorporates private funeral services, many of which did not appear in the funeral notice columns of the Advertiser. Entries marked Y in the Death Notice column will be found in the deaths section of The Advertiser. New
Colonial South Australian Pioneers - Arrivals, births, marriages, deaths & burials 1836-50s This pioneering South Australian colonists database, by Barry Leadbeater, contains combined archival collections of passenger lists, births, marriages, deaths and burials.
FamilySearch Community Trees This project includes lineage-linked genealogies from specific time periods and geographic localities around the world. The South Australia Community Trees project (ongoing) contains information from the South Australian birth, marriage and death indexes, overseas sources and notes from the South Australian Biographical Indexes.
Adelaide Co-operative History Databases These include South Australian and Northern Territory (to 1910) gazetted deaths 1845-1941 and WWI deaths of South Australian servicemen.Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office The Registration Office is part of Consumer and Business Services. There is family history information but no online indexes. These are available at Genealogy SA.
FamilySearch Community Trees This project includes lineage-linked genealogies from specific time periods and geographic localities around the world. The Victorian Community Trees project (ongoing) contains information from birth, marriage and death indexes, other primary record sources and newspapers.Index to Royal Women's Hospital (formerly Melbourne Lying-In Hospital ) Midwifery Book no 1 -1856-1876 This index facilitates access to the Royal Women's Hospital (Victoria) digitised Midwifery Book (1856-1876) which is freely available on the Royal Women's Hospital site.
Divorce Index Victoria 1861-1900 This index, by Sue McBeth and Wendy Baker, indexes the divorce case files held by the PROV lists the names of both parties, any co-respondents and file references.
Public Record Office Victoria - Online Resources - Index to Divorce Cause Books 1861-1924 This index lists names of the petitioner, respondent and any co-respondents plus Supreme Court case numbers.
Places Names in Vic BDM Indexes Use this site, by Susie Zada, to take some of the guesswork out of the abbreviated place names used in Victorian BDM indexes. There is some great advice and tips.
Victorian Place Name Abbreviations This list, by Carolyn Harris, is useful when using the Victorian civil registration indexes as the place names are often abbreviated.Victorian Place Name Abbreviations This alphabetical list, by Sally Routledge, can be downloaded as a PDF file. It can help identify place names that are abbreviated on the Victorian BDM indexes.