New South Wales
Decisions of the Superior Courts of New South Wales, 1788-1899. This site also includes Moreton Bay cases (1850-1859)
and Port Phillip District cases (1841-1847). There are subject and case indexes plus information on how to use this site for family history research. There are also links to other similar sites.
State Records New South Wales, Indexes Online, Courts include:
• Bench of Magistrates (1788-1820) includes criminal and civil cases, publicans' licenses, constables appointed, controlling the markets etc.
• Court of Civil Jurisdiction (1799-1814) includes judgements on legal and equity matters, especially promissory notes and recovery of small debts.
• Criminal Court Records (1788-1833) includes criminal cases from the Court of Criminal Jurisdiction and the Supreme Court of Criminal Jurisdiction. The index shows date, name(s) of perpetrators, offence (including names of victims), record details and remarks.
• Criminal Depositions Received (1849-1949). A search returns, names, alias, place and date of committal, alleged offence, committed for trial at and references.
• Quarter Sessions Cases (1824-1837) includes case papers for criminal and civil cases registered by the Clerk of the Peace.
Indexes Online, Gaols include:
• Gaol Photographs (1870-1930) for Albury, Armidale, Bathurst, Berrima, Biloela, Broken Hill, Darlinghurst (Sydney), Deniliquin, Dubbo, Goulburn, Grafton, Maitland, Parramatta (Sydney), Trial Bay and Young. More gaols will be added as they become available. If the record has been digitised it is available online for free otherwise State Records offers an online copy service for a fee. This series is also available on the commercial site Ancestry.com (fees apply).
Ancestry.com.au offers access to the New South Wales, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930. The records are fully indexed with a free surname search. A variety of subscription options offer access to digitised copies of the original records. The description books contain photos and personal information. Currently there are records from: Albury (1876-1929), Armidale (1894-1915), Bathurst (1874-1930), Berrima (1883-1888), Biloela (1885-1906), Broken Hill (1904-1929), Darlinghurst (1869-1914), Deniliquin (1895-1929), Dubbo (1889-1920), Goulburn (1869-1930), Maitland (1867-1930) and Trial Bay (1892-1901). New
Braidwood Gaol Entrance Book (1856-1899) by Peter Mayberry. Over 2200 records online.
Queensland State Archives - Indexes include:
• Criminal Depositions 1861-1885. This index lists name and reference to the Registers which lists people charged with a criminal offence. Information given includes the nature of the offence, the court where the trial was held and gaol name if a sentence was imposed. The information from the Register is available from QSA for a small fee.
• Chronological register of convicts at Moreton Bay 1824-1839
• St Helena convict indexes 1863-1936. This index records the names of all convicts (prisoners) who were held at St Helena Penal Establishment.
• Toowoomba prisoners indexes 1864-1906
State Records of South Australia offers online name searching of selected records using the collection search engine, ArchivesSearch. Records available include registers of prisoners Yatala Labour Prison 1866-1931; register of prisoners discharged from Yatala Labour Prison (Supreme Court cases); register of prisoners discharged from Yatala Labour (Police Court cases) and commitment warrants for military prisoners 1916-1945.
Decisions of the Nineteenth Century Tasmanian Superior Courts. Currently decisions 1824-1843 are available. Subject and case indexes are available plus an index to legal cases in Tasmanian newspapers.
Public Record Office Victoria Prisoners and Convicts. Resources include alphabetical indexes to Central Register of Male Prisoners, (1868-1947) and the Central Register of Female Prisoners (1857-1948). Updated
Public Record Office Victoria Court Cases. Resources include:
• Index to Certificate of Discharge, Court of Insolvency, Melbourne
• Index to Companies and Miscellaneous Applications Files
• Index to Court of Insolvency Records (partial access). An index to records from the Geelong Court of Insolvency 1855-1857
• Index to Court of Petty Sessions Register of Applications for Victorian old-age pension. Updated
© Cora Num 1997-2013. Last Updated 19 November 2013