Discovery holds 32+ million descriptions of records held by The National Archives and 2,500+ archives across the country. Over 9 million records are available for download from this site. Use Discovery to search. Enter a surname in the search box and tick Available to download from the National Archives. You can refine your search results by Date, Subject or Collection. Digitised copies of the original records can be downloaded for £1.10 each or accessed on the commercial sites Ancestry or findmypast where indicated*. Records available include:
• British Army and militia 1760-1915 (*images on findmypast)
• British Army nurses' service records 1914-1918
• British Army war diaries 1914-1922
• Durham Home Guard 1939-1945
• First World War soldiers’ service and pension records (*images on Ancestry)
• Household Cavalry soldiers’ service records 1799-1920
• Middlesex military service appeal tribunal 1916-1918
• Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps service records 1917-1920
TIP: Ancestry and Findmypast are available for free, onsite, at some state, public and family history libraries. Check what might be available onsite at a library near you.
TIP: The state libraries of Victoria and Western Australia eResources offers free access to the Discovery service digitised documents.