The Ross Female Factory, erected in 1833, is located in the town of Ross, Tasmania. It was initially built to house the convict chain gains employed on the Ross Bridge. The Ross Female Factory is one of four female factories built in Tasmania. Between 1847 and 1854 it operated as a probation station for female convicts and their babies. The women were taught how to sew, clean, cook, launder and care for their children. The Ross Female Factory is a protected historic site today, managed by the Parks and Wildlife Service and the Tasmanian Wool Centre of Ross.