The Mission of Our Lady of the Rosary for the Protection of Irish Immigrant Girls operated from 1883 to 1954 in Watson House overlooking New York Harbour. It was close to the Castle Garden immigration depot. The mission aimed to provide information, counselling, temporary shelter, employment referrals and spiritual support for young women. From 1883 to 1908, almost 308,000 Irish “girls,” aged 14 to 44, arrived at the Port of New York. Approximately 100,000 of them were cared for by the mission’s staff. Each newcomer’s name and age was written in a bound ledger, with notations for the arrival date and ship, county of origin, anticipated final destination and the relationship to the person at the destination. The five counties with the greatest representation were Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry and Cork.
The Digital Archives tab offers a includes a search facility of the records of the Irish Mission at Watson House 1883-1954 with additional records added as they become available. Digital copies of the records (free) are linked to the search results. New